This is a really hard question to answer because our lid sizes, eye shapes, application techniques, brushes, and shadow formulations differ.
I decided to do a little snooping anyway.
This is by no means scientific, but it's a fun (and hopefully informative) FYI for you!
- Micro-scale (measures down to 0.01g)
- The Body Shop Eye shadow brush (found the most "medium" brush I could; medium length 1.5cm/0.6" bristles, medium-softness or -spread so it's not extremely fluffy or packed)
- 0.22g of loose pigment (0.02g as buffer for "fallouts" and debris in the brush). Typically, 1.5g of pressed shadow should last you longer than 1.5g of loose pigment.
- Silicone oil to prime my skin surface
- Cotton pads and makeup remover
- I wanted to make sure my applications were "generous", so each "application" (covering two lids) was represented by approximately 2.5" x 0.7" strip of skin.
- I had to assume this would be equal to or greater than the average person's lid space, from lash-to-brow, of both lids combined.
- The shadow is applied as a wash, over silicone-oil primed skin, in order to maximise pigment adherence from the brush. Again, this should mean I am applying equal amounts of or more pigment than the average person would typically.
- I allowed fallout and drop-off of pigments because this is typical of the average application.
- I did a manual count using a notepad, to see how many times I could repeat the application before depleting the 0.2g of pigment.
0.2g (0.007oz) of powder pigments would give you at least 24 full applications typically. This is not bad at all because if you are like most people and apply your shadows or pigments only to your eyes, instead of all over your face, cheekbones, shoulders, body, etc, you will get quite a lot of uses out of your product.
- This means 1g of powder can give you 120 applications and a typical 1.5g pan of shadow can last you about 180 applications (6 months of once-daily use) depending on how you use it.
- L'oreal Infallible Coleur Shadows should be able to give you about 420 applications because of how densely packed the 3.5g of pigments are, though it might LOOK a lot smaller compared to a MAC jar.
- 4.5g of pigment in a MAC's new jars can give you about 540 applications. This means it should least you for about 1.48 years of daily use unless you have tons of fallout during application.
- 7.5g of pigment in the old MAC pigment jars, however, can give you around 900 applications, so that's the reason why so few people ever seem to finish their old jars.
- If you are using a very fluffy brush like a MAC 217 or 224 versus a flatter brush, you will tend to "lose" more product because the bristles are designed for blending and sheering out (i.e. pick up and dust off). If you want a lot of color intensity, instead of applying layers and layers of shadow, wear a good primer so the first coat of pigment goes on and stays on.
- If you are using a very matte or very glittery shadow or pigment, you will "lose" more product to your brush bristles and to fall-out, because matte shadows don't tend to adhere as well to the skin as metallics and pearls.
- Please remember that powders vary in texture and weight. Some finer powders will settle and be packed densely, which is why some MAC pigments might look only 1/2 full when they are new. A dense pigment will still give you as many applications as a looser one, so don't worry over-much about the container not being "full".
- This whole experiment was done in good fun, and because this is something I've been wondering about for years. Findings are approximate and may not be representative of everyone. Individual results will definitely vary based on the above 3 points!
For Buyers Online:
- For those of you buying samples, note that most sellers sell by volume (quarter-teaspoon for example) rather than weight. If you're getting a more sparkly, gritty pigment like MAC Rose, you WILL be getting less product by weight than a 1/4 tsp of dense pigment like Copper Metal, Rose Gold, etc.
- If you are buying anything in pressed form, the difference will usually be negligible between shades and textures (as long as they are well-pressed).
- Is it better to purchase pigments by weight or by volume? It's hard to make a call because you may not know the texture/density a pigment is going to be beforehand. In general, if you are buying something very glittery and fluffy (e.g. Kitchmas, Blue Brown, Green Brown, Copper Sparkle, Rose, Naked pigments for example), go by weight or opt to buy them in pressed form. If you are buying something that is very metallic and dense (More fine-grained pigments like Silver Metal, Copper Metal, etc) go by volume (spoon sizes, jar sizes etc).
The fairest and most consistent way to buy and sell loose pigments is to go by weight because that is how the raw ingredients are costed for. Unfortunately, it's easier and cheaper to buy a measuring spoon than it is to get a digital micro-scale, so most sellers continue to sell by volume instead of weight.
Great post, this is really interesting!! Thank you! :)ReplyDelete
Very welcome, Constanze!Delete
Wow! Pretty cool info! Thanks! 😃ReplyDelete
All India packers and movers list – You will find here best packers and movers website here. If you want to shift your home and office you can click below link and vist our website.ReplyDelete
Noida packers and movers
Delhi packers and movers
Gurgaon packers and movers
Faridabad packers and movers
Packers and movers Indirapuram Ghaziabad
Delhi movers and packers
Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guaranteed to Enlarge and get a better ERECTION, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to enlarge Penis is that they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful for Penis Enlargement. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedies which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently Contact Dr ODOMA via Email: email@example.com or via WhatsApp: +2348100649947 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthily. I also learn that Dr ODOMA also can cure other types of diseases like,HEPATITIS B,DIABETICS,CANCER,HPV,LOW SPERM CAM, HIV/STDS, FIBROSIS LOST OF WEIGHT, BREAST ENLARGEMENT, HIPS and BUMS ENLARGEMENT etc Thank you.......visit his website:ReplyDelete
(facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Drodomaherbalmedicine/)
Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it, I have read about DR odoma the great herbalist doctor who cure me from herpes with his powerful herbal medicine. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God!after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 3 days!i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!it's really like a dream but i am so happy! for the people suffering from the following diseases, Cancer, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, Arthritis, Hpv, Infections,Liver Disease, Autoimmune Diseases, Parkinson's disease,Lupus Canker sore and more should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes and his medicine is legit. I sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which I took for 3 good weeks and today I am out here with negative results. When I went for the test I was so happy after going through his medication. you can reach him through his email firstname.lastname@example.org or call whatsapp number:+2348100649947 he will help you out.....visit his website:ReplyDelete
(facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Drodomaherbalmedicine/
Are you battling with any health related issues or infection is not the end of your life, why not contact a herbal practitioner for cure Dr Oyagu has herbal remedies and permanent solution for all your health related problems. recommend him to you today only because i have also used his herbal medicine and it worked perfectly on my health problem, you can actually save yourself from giving your hard earned money to Scammers if only you can contact Dr Oyagu today for genuine and Permanent cure herbal products . Pls help share this post to save yourself and your love ones. Dr Oyagu is specialize in these areas, Permanent herbal supplements for anxiety and depression, HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Epilepsy, Blood, Cancer, HPV, ALS, herpes etc. Email: email@example.com or visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank youReplyDelete