The MAC x Bao Bao Wan collection is a mix of shimmering metallics and clashing opaque costume jewelry tones. Among all the loud, neon, fun, and - dare I say "trash over class" - shades designed in collaboration with the Chinese socialite-cum-jewelry-designer, there IS one item which stands out as being quite chic and universally appealing.
|MAC Bao Bao Wan nail lacquers|
|MAC Bao Bao Wan lipsticks|
Now at SGD$75 for 4g, the Veluxe Pearlfusion palettes do not offer you any "bulk savings" over regular full-size single shadows. And if you're using refill pans, then these are actually a step up in price. So the only reason to get these would be if you absolutely love a majority of the shades.
|MAC Bao Bao's Jewels swatches|
- Pale Pink - the one dud in the palette; this shade is very gritty and will fall apart on your brush and fingers; be prepared for low payoff and high fall-out.
- Gold - medium yellow-gold; very smooth and semi-opaque; low fall-out.
- Pink Bronze - "pink bronze" is just a nicer way to say "copper"; this is a true orange-based copper, and the payoff is beautiful, but the shade itself might come off quite brassy and orange on many light to medium skins. Low fall-out.
- Dark Brown - a great charcoal-brown with a low silver sheen; this goes on smoothly and blends beautifully. Makes a great liner or definer shade and complements the other colors in the palette well. Moderate fall-out.
- Steel Grey - The only cooler-toned shade in the bunch, this color is silky and quite dimensional, but also has high fall-out.
If you don't mind these two negatives, and you like the colors, then I would say this is a palette worth checking out. But remember, it's not really a palette for subtle eye looks.
|MAC Bao Bao Wan eye look|
To recreate this smoky winged metallic eye, you simple need to:
1. Apply Dark Brown, Rose Bronze and Gold in succession from the outer corner of the eye inwards. The colors should slightly overlap one another so there is a seamless ombre effect.
2. Using a small lip brush, I applied the Steel Grey shade to the lower lash line damp for more control and intensity, and then the Pale Pink to the inner corners around the tear-duct, and down the center of the eye for a subtle highlight.
The Bao Bao Wan collection launches 6 March at MAC Ngee Ann City and 12 March at Tangs.